Saturday, July 15, 2017

ARC REVIEW The Silent Corner by Dean Koontz

I'm sad, not that this book was sad but I'm sad that I didn't like this one as much as I had hoped. The idea the concept it really intrigued me but the execution was not what I expected not after Ashley Bell, which I really loved. It was well written Koontz has an excellent active setting but does tend to get a little to wordy, and as much as I like backstory reading an almost repetitive internal monologue gets tedious. I could not empathize with Jane, I could not connect to her. You know she is FBI and had a loving husband and has an adorable boy that she entrusted his care to two friends, she just seemed to cold and methodical to me and really whiny at other times. Everything she is doing is out of love but she has let her obsession take over, she's paranoid and doesn't trust anyone but a limited few, but as they say you're not paranoid if "they" are actually out to get you.

The Silent Corner is the first book in a new series for Koontz it follows Jane Hawk whose husband unexpectedly committed suicide, afterwards she became convinced that he was all part of some massive conspiracy and his death was part of it. Jane has gone to the silent corner, a term used when you are not off grid but hidden on the grid. She is questioning people who have had loved ones commit suicide and has figured out just where this may have all come from and through some shady people and the use of blackmail she just might have figured out the exact person who is behind the whole thing. Jane must trust someone, that someone in a short time won her trust and friendship and can help her get to the bottom of it.

Overall, I was disappointed with it. Disappointed in the same way I was disappointed in Fear Nothing and Seize the Night, I stopped reading Koontz for a while after that. I don't think I'll read the next book because I frankly just don't care what happens.      

No comments:

Post a Comment