Tuesday, March 7, 2017

ARC REVIEW DC Universe Rebirth Suicide Squad Vol. 1 The Black Vault





DC universe Rebirth Suicide Squad Vol. 1: The Black Vault
By: Rob Williams
Art by: Carlos D’Anda, Gary Frank, Ivan Reis, Jason Fabok, Philip Tan, Scott Williams, Jim Lee, Alex Sinclair
Includes Issues Rebirth and 1-4



Story: The Suicide Squad is together again this time being led by Rick Flag. Amanda Waller sends them to an isolated Russian facility to uncover the contents of the black vault, an unknown spatial anomaly. As it always does nothing goes according to plan including Killer Croc almost chocking on his own vomit. This one is really short they get in they fight the Russian equivalent of the Suicide Squad get the objective and it really was funny, I bused out laughing. The second half of this volume is a bit of background history on the members. I liked it, it was good to know especially since I am relatively new to comics.
Art: I like Jim Lee I think he did a great job with Scott Williams and Alex Sinclair for The Black Vault. I love the way the characters were drawn, Harley is adorable especially in her “REBIRTH” t-shirt; Capt. Boomerang actually looks intimidating, Deadshot looks weird with his mask open but badass with it closed, Killer Croc love him so detailed and scary. Overall this was good eye candy especially the variant covers.





Characters: Amanda Waller, Rick Flag, Katana, Harley Quinn, Deadshot, Capt. Boomerang, Enchantress, Killer Croc. I love the way Williams did Harley he showed her crazy side but also how incredibly intelligent she is, for example Katana and her are fighting a bunch of Russian soldiers and the whole time Harley is asking her this deep questions and Katana just ignores her and keeps on killing. I don’t know much about the other characters but I like the balance between them they all seem to do their share and take turns fighting the big baddie at the end but yet still kind of self-serving. There is a new character I like her so far, but it’s only the beginning.



Review: Overall I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. The movie was just ehh, it had its moments, but this I enjoyed so much more. I like the established group more than the just throw them together right off the back, the interaction between the characters was more believable that they know each other’s strong points and are not surprised at all when Harley tries to bail on them. It was a good quick read gave me plenty of laughs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment